Here it is, my version of Stars and Sprigs by Kim McLean, which I’m calling Gathering Stars and Sprigs.
The quilt centre sat on my shelf for a few months while I thought about borders. I didn’t want to do the applique borders, as wonderful as they are, as I really wanted this to be a practical quilt and with two dogs jumping off and on our bed, I could just see all that applique being clawed and pawed!!
Once I decided on a pieced border, I had to tackle the Electric Quilt math! A quilt on point will always end up with a weird size, in this case 67.882. When you add the next border, the size will have to be something that roughly adds up to a size for the next border that you can use to divide into yet another border. I added a 2.125″ border, which meant that the quilt was now 72.132″ big. Okay, so I can divide 4″ into 72″, and kind of forget about the .132″ as it is less than an 1/8″ and that small an amount can be eased into a quilt of this size.
So now I make a new quilt. I set four blocks into a square quilt, to make a quilt centre that is 67.75″ big. That extra, between 67.882 of the original and 67.75 for the planning quilt, can be eased in with the first border. From then on, I can add borders to my hearts content, always only seeing reasonable decimals that 1/8″ or 1/4″.
Hope this makes sense!