Yesterday was full of surprises in my quilt room! I went to my batting bin with the intent of preparing Stars for a New Day for quilting…I was suprised to discover that I’m all out of fresh batting – those still new and wrapped in their package. So instead I had to rummage through the leftovers and strips cut from other quilts. So I started to lay out batting bits, and finding tops to fit the bits. Looking for quilt tops to fit the batting I could make, I found tops I had forgotten all about! They never made it to my “list of tops to quilt”. What a nice suprise.
To make a new piece of batting, I lay out pieces that will then make up a size appropriate for the top. Let’s say I have two strips. I layer one strip on top of another, and with scissors I cut a clean edge along both strips at once. Then, its easy for them to butt together and use a zig zag stitch to make a permanent join.