Whimsical Garden progress


I did come up with some great applique setting designs in Electric Quilt, but they couldn’t be used as the applique elements in this quilt overlap on to other blocks.  Eventually, I had this idea, to apply narrow sashings between the blocks, which I think worked well enough to make some difference in the quilt’s overall appearance.




I made narrow strips of the fabric that’s in the block frames…a clover bias tape maker that I usually use for making stems gave me the finished edge.  I cut 1/2″ strips from the fabric and sprayed with Best Press. Put the fabric through the bias tape maker, and voila!  instant narrow sashing!
I “quilted” it on to the quilt with a narrow serpentine (curvy) stitch, following the seam line between the blocks.  In this picture it looks like its not quite on centre, but I don’t think fussi-ness is necessary in this quilt, because the whole thing has a folk-art-primitive feeling.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s