Let me see if I can re-trace the steps some of my fabric bundles have travelled in the past few weeks. I often put my fabric into sets – if its obvious they go together to make something – those sets then get shuffled about and experimented with.
Some thimbleberries fat quarters came into the studio, for some certain reason – can’t remember what now! They were tried out for a Lori Smith applique, a sixteen-baskets applique, and finally the magic vine applique…maybe some piecing projects in between. Finally they happily landed on the Pushin Up Spring design.
For the Magic Vine, the thimbleberries set was replaced by some assorted fabrics – I had posted a picture of these a few days ago. Tried out those fabrics, but blah – didn’t like the white background, couldn’t find a cream or any other colour background in my stash.
Then I spied my pile of batiks and hand dyes – not a huge pile – but enough certainly to do something with. Out went the assorted fabrics, in went the batiks, on black. Well, this was okay – but I felt that the simplicity of the magic vine designs, needed some kind of busy print or something. And niggling in the back of my mind was a very nice assortment of white on black, that would go nicely with those hand dyes and blacks….
next thing you know, I’ve got out my Bountiful Baskets pattern from the Rabbit Factory – and voila!
And, digging through my baggies of fabric set scraps, I found enough of mostly a line called Summer’s Baskets of Flowers to make the Magic Vine.
So, some successfull stash scavenging, lots of handwork to look forward to, no buying new fabric – yet – and one fabric set left over! Pretty good work for a week when I’ve been recovering from a nasty throat infection and cold.